I love cream filled desserts of all kinds and so when I found this Boston Cream Pie cupcake recipe, I had to give it a try. And my goodness, they are delicious!
Here's the recipe:
1 box yellow cake mix, plus ingredients to prepare mix
1/2 cup French vanilla instant pudding and pie filling mix
2 cups milk
16 oz. milk chocolate frosting
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Spoon batter into cupcake liners. Bake 15 to 20 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes, remove to wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, whisk pudding mix and milk in medium bowl until well blended. Cover and refrigerate.
- Use the Williams-Sonoma Mechanical Pastry Bag with filling tip to insert pudding into the center of the cupcakes from the bottom.*
- Frost cupcakes and enjoy!
I was really excited to use the pastry filling tip of my Mechanical Pastry Bag. It did the job, but as messily as possible. I have not been very satisfied with my Mechanical Pastry Bag from Williams-Sonoma, especially because I expect high quality when I purchase anything from them.
But the end result was delightful. Boston Cream Pie always makes me reminiscent of early college cafeteria days... and those are some wonderful memories.