Monday, June 13, 2011

The One With the Bouquet of Cake Pops


I've been attempting cake pops recently. Now, I haven't gotten to the point of being able to decorate them and make them all cool. Just getting this far has been a challenge. (This far: smooth cake pops that don't fall off their sticks.)

But I think I might be getting the hang of it. A little. Maybe after a few more batches of plain cake pops I'll be ready to try something exciting.

I have been using the Cake Pops book by Bakerella for reference and I think she has some great tips (read: I wouldn't even be this far without them).

If you've made cake pops before and know what I'm talking about, or if you haven't but are using a book like the one mentioned above to get started, I'll let you in on a few of my secrets.
  • My favorite version of the cake pop is made with chocolate cake and rainbow chip frosting. Be careful not to use too much! Rainbow chip is quite moist.
  • Cake crumbles more easily if it is dry. If your cake recipe calls for 3 eggs, use only 2 and that should help. 
  • I have been using Wilton Melting Wafers and they work great.* If you want to try cake pops, collect a few bags when they're on sale and dive right in.
  • *When I say "they work great" I mean that they do work well, but you still have to practice to get them melted to the perfect consistency: not so cool that they fall before solidifying and not so hot that they create too-thin shells.
  • Make extras to use as testers! If you need 20 pops for a party, make 30 balls so that you can make a few mistakes without having to start the entire process over again.  
  • When attempting cake pops, set aside a good amount of time for working on them. You have lots of waiting time (baking, cooling, chilling in fridge, etc.) that can't be skipped out on.
  • Make sure you have your Styrofoam to set the pops in to solidify. You'll get very frustrated without this. 
  • Give yourself a break if they don't look perfect. No matter what they look like, they taste delicious.

4 comments:

  1. For 20 cake pops, how many bags of candy melts would you recommend? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would recommend 2 bags of candy melts. You won't use all of it, but you need extra in order to have dipping space. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Has the book helped quite a bit? I've read pretty much every post Bakerella has written and I've made cake balls multiple times. I've never been able to do the "Pops" thing. Should I invest in the book?

    Love your creativity!
    Julianne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that the book has a lot of great tips and even some troubleshooting information if you're having difficulty with the cake pops. I'm not sure if this information is exclusive to the book (and not on her blog), but since I've seen the book for $10-12, I'd say it is definitely worth the investment. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...