Monday, November 7, 2011

The One With the Dinosaur Hoodie

Ellie's BFF Jake just turned two. Jake loves dinosaurs. I love Pinterest. I saw the idea to make a dinosaur hoodie out of a regular sweatshirt and got really excited! (Not having boys myself means I need other people's boys to bestow boyish crafts upon.) So I bought an $8 hoodie from Target. And a few dollars worth of felt from JoAnn's. A seam ripper, scissors and a sewing machine later... voila! A dinosaur hoodie:
I think he likes it. Well, at least his mom likes it. I'm not sure how aware he is of the coolness that is his jacket. But he was good enough to model it anyway.
Pretty cute, huh? Almost makes me want to get a boy of my own just so I can dress him up as a baby dinosaur. Almost... maybe not just yet.  

P.S. If you want one of these made for a kiddo in your life, let me know! I would love to do it!

5 comments:

  1. this is unbelievably cute! i want one for me!! you HAVE to link this up tomorrow!!!

    andiejaye @ crayonfreckles

    ReplyDelete
  2. just wanted to let you know this is a feature at my party tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had not seen this!! Love it! We get soooo many compliments on this hoodie, I recommend it for any moms with dino loving kids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you by chance have the tutorial saved for this hoodie? I had it pinned last year to make for my boys this year, but the website is no longer there! I know there are other tutorials but was hoping to use this one!
    Thanks, Crystal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Crystal! I've never done a proper tutorial for this, but I should! It's very simple and I think I can give the directions, although I don't have pictures for each picture.

      I bought a thin sweatshirt from Target, although I'm sure lots of stores carry them for $10 or so. I also bought 1/4 yard of yellow felt and matching thread. First, cut the spikes. I cut the triangles out of the felt and sewed together two triangles to make each spike. You will need 10-12 spikes depending on the size of the spikes and the size of the sweatshirt.
      Use scissors to cut the sweatshirt hood, stopping about an inch before the seam that connects the hood and body. Cut the body of the sweatshirt from the bottom up, right down the middle. Again, stop about an inch before the connecting seam. Turn the sweatshirt inside out and pin and then sew the spikes in place recreating the seam you just split. I used a quarter inch seam. And that's pretty much it! Pretty straight forward.
      If you have any other questions, please ask! Good luck with your hoodies!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...